Originally Posted by RAH
No idea on biomass increase but the bottom of the pond is pure clay, so the lotus has struggled as indicated by it taking 3 years to bloom. I suspect it will eventually spread all around the pond edge since lotus are aggressive, but not sure how deep it will go (currently up to 4' deep). The emergent plants are also struggling but the nutrients will eventually increase over time. Being my 3rd pond, I am using it to try out new things. My 2nd pond is a YP/SMB pond and I actually contacted a fisheries guy at Purdue University to come check it out because their literature still seems to recommend against SMB in ponds. He said we may have special conditions which allow the SMB to grow well and spawn, and originally said he would come out with students this Spring/Summer to take readings, but this has been a special year so far... Just trying to spread the message from Pond Boss pros that SMB are fine in ponds with the right species mix. My neighbor is pumped about catching big SMB!

RAH, If you can, PM me the information on the Purdue guy. I have a SMB pond he could look at up here.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).