Hi everyone,

I need some advise from the experts here. I am new to the forum and pond management.

I have a very large pond / fresh water reserve on my property. It is man made. Too large to estimate gallons. It is designed like a large meandering river that is a large closed loop that is over 2 miles long. It’s about 20-30” wide in sections and anywhere from 8-10 deep in sections. The banks are lined with natural limestone rubble. The river pond is somewhat of a closed loop but is occasionally feed by rain water and linked to other large canal systems through underground pipes.

I have noticed a strange phenomenon: during the the early morning the water is crystal clear. You can see to the bottom in sections of 6 feet of water. Around noon the water becomes cloudy with a green algae bloom. By the afternoon this turns a dark brown tea color and repeats everyday.

An aeration system was installed to help with the cloudy cycle. It ran for 1 month for 24/7. The turbulence disturbed and agitated the water and created even more cloudiness. There was considerable vegetation that floated up to the Surface. The vegetation has been consistently mechanically removed. Aeration has been discontinued.

The system is heavily stoked with various fish. Some are quite large and of many varieties. Even a number of turtles. The fish are never fed. It is self sustaining and natural.

How can I reduced the cycle of cloudiness and have crystal clear water all day?

Please help.