Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Sharing an interesting article about rotenone laced pellets to selectively target carp.
I'm surprised the company making the pellets didn't continue to try to add more fish meal or other 'flavorants' to cover the 'taste' that made fish spit it out. There is a fairly large need for a selective pellet based fish removal tool. Who ever made my Optimal make my hands smell awful at the same time made fish go crazy over its taste. They probably could take over this research!

Rotenone pellet study

Huh, I didn't think rotenone worked like that. From my understanding, it prevents the fish's cells from absorbing oxygen, thus suffocating it. I had no idea it would still be effective, even if processed through the liver. I read the study, and I'm being nit-picky here, but they never actually verified that it was, in fact, the rotenone-laced pellet that killed the fish. They basically said they found "material that could've resembled that of a fish pellet" in their stomachs. They also never mentioned how much rotenone was in each pellet. My initial thought was that the rotenone could've leeched into the water and that's what caused the few fish deaths they experienced. I just don't know how you could only target one species of fish with this tactic, like Bill said.

Last edited by Steve_; 10/01/20 09:02 PM.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller