jpsdad quote - ""On the other hand, Willis and Cody mention that BG, GSF, redbreast sunfish, crappie, gizzard shad, bullhead catfish, and Orange Spotted Sunfish are detrimental to SMB. So this brings me to the first question.''
In what Willis & Cody article did you see that orange spotted sunfish and RBS were detrimental to SMB? As I know it that article "Talking Points: Smallmouth Bass" did not mention that OSS nor RBS were a problem with SMB. Did the authors of that (what) article mentioning OSS have any mention why they thought OSS and or RBS were detrimental to SMB?.

I am not real familiar with the biology of OSS nor RBS so I can only guess why OSS would not be a compatible forage species for SMB. 1. OSS if is aggressive and abundant they could prey heavily on the SMB eggs and fry. 2. OSS - RBS when abundant would deplete too many of the natural foods probably invertebrates needed by SMB fry to grow into fingerlings. 3. Direct competition for living space and food items especially among younger fish of both species may be the biggest detriment for OSS or RBS living well with SMB???? 4. Since OSS adults remain 6” or less this would make them a less desirable panfish. Although since OSS remain small during most of its life span this could be a good prey size for the larger SMB (9”-16”).
Generally a forage species and predator species are considered most compatible when each has a somewhat different niche and the adults feed on mostly different rather than similar food items. Adults feeding on different food levels allows the pond to produce a higher biomass of fish.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/18/20 09:33 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management