Originally Posted by North40
Good information on the colony, news to me. Yes, my son and I had a good time with it. Turns out he was the brains of the pair, not surprisingly.

First one was good sized, 40-50 pounds I'd guess easily. One a bit smaller, then the others smaller yet. The one I saw swimming was good sized, but not as large as the first trapped. I'm going hunt him this weekend. I've seen it twice now near sunset.

On a side note, they really cleaned up my cattails. I haven't decide yet it that is a good or bad thing. Do the cattails use more nutrients during the summer than they leave after dying off in the winter??

So hopefully that last one is the other adult and you'll be done with your issue after your hunting trip smile Unfortunately, they left a nice set up if another young pair finds your pond next summer. They'll be easier to remove (hopefully) if that happens though, a beaver pushing 50 pounds has been around a while.

I don't know for sure on the cattails but I would think most of what they use in the summer goes right back in the winter. Could be wrong there though.