Ok - you were just referring to how CC feed on pellets. Feeding of pellets by tilapia is usually a very quick surface grab, noticeable splash and fast retreat to deeper water. They are very shy fish so it may take a few days for them learn or adjust to feed on pellets when are close to shore, although your turbid water may impact this timing. Remember - some of their instincts tell them that predators come from above the surface.

Aerator run time. If you look back through my posts back on August 9 to you when the pond became cloudy, I think I mentioned to completely turn off the aerator in this shallow pond. Wind mixing and cooling night temperatures should help mix the water well enough to not harm fish especially tilapia and FHM who both are very low DO tolerant. Plus your pond is new so it has minimal oxygen consumption from decomposition so a chance of summer kill in its pond history is very low. I would try turning off the aerator for a week or two or three and see if this allows the sediment in the water to sink quicker than the current aerator mixing rate. The closer you get to a Texas winter the less you need to run the aerator or not even run it when the water is less than 60F.

The other thing you could do is the 'jar settling test'. Collect turbid water in a clear jar and set it in the shade. 4-5-7 days later collect a similar jar of water and compare the two water colors. If 1st one is clear, turning off the aerator will speed up the clearing process. New ponds need to develop a biofilm skin on the bottom to help reduce resuspension of the new colloidal clay layer. Dirty runoff muddy water caused your current turbidity problems. Aerator mixing it slows the sedimentation clarifying process. GET THAT WATER SHED VEGETATED.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/14/20 08:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management