Small oaks, depending on the volume of water, shouldn't a problem but isn't a plus. My problem came about when my approx one acre pond was built. Some big oaks were taken down and I had them pushed into the bowl. It sounded like a good idea at the time. We got some good rains the next couple of days and I bought small fish and crawdads. Shortly after, the water turned black and everything died. Tannins in big quantities from fresh oaks are lethal. I bought a pump and emptied it. That took awhile for about a1/4 acre of water. Texas summer dried everything out and I burnt it. Then waited for rain that didn't come for quite awhile.

To test any wood, cut a small piece and put it in a bucket of water. After 3 or 4 days, add minnows. If they live, you ought to be OK.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP