NEDOC, got sidetracked and didn't return to this quick enough but I do have something to add.. since posting this about the smb, I have seen a few in the 4-5" range but a LOT in the 2-2.5" range right now/ I've been playing with the smaller smb that hang just at the edge of my new dock. I'm trying to get them to attack #2 Optimal starter and I've had a few takers and it's been fun if nothing else.
This cold system that set all sorts of new records here has caused some unforeseen issues. 104 high on Sunday to 29 low with heavy snow Tuesday. My water temp went from 83 sunday eve to 51 by Tuesday eve. Today I measured temp thru water column and fond less than 1 deg spread in 12ft. Needless to say, the algae crash caused a domino effect that ended up killing a lot of fish. I've been involved in another community project in Colby, ks that had a massive crash and subsequent kill as well that just showed up this am. The smb that we stocked there are from culling 70 juvies from my pond. Kyle, the parks director there, (also a pondBoss mag subscriber and lurker of these forums) found fish piping and beyond that this am, including 15-20" CC at his location as well.
Not sure what to do.. sure has been a tuff 2 years.