Hello everyone,

I have a 1 acre pond stocked with trout that also had largemouth bass. This year, a muskrat has been causing lots of trouble in the pond, and it needs to be removed. It has been here in previous years, but we've let it be. Finally, it's causing too much damage to be left. Firstly, it chewed and broke off our floating dock. Secondly, it chewed up all of the dock foam creating a huge mess around the pond. Thirdly, it chewed up the wood under the dock and made a nest or home under it. The dock required a major overhaul. The final thing it did was chew on the cord to our aerator, causing it to no longer function and require repairs to the cable.

There is at least one muskrat that we need to remove, possible more. I am wondering if anyone has advice as to what can be done to remove them. I would, preferably, like to not kill them, especially since I will have to follow local regulations. Is trapping with a raccoon one door trap a possibility? I've read up on it online and it seems apples can be used as bait. Is there anything else that can be done? Anyone's experience or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

I subscribe!