Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
John, it’s tough to whip predators when you don’t live there. Cormorants have hammered me 2 years in a row. In a couple of weeks I’ll be stringing wire over mine to deter the birds. Then remove it in the Spring after their migration. I expect to do it twice a year.
Dave the cormorants were not nearly as bad for me last year, but they were still destructive. I guess it varies year to year. I too have considered stringing fishing line across like the guy in Italy. He said it is very effective, but could be a challenge in a 3.5 acre pond stringing that much line. I think we trapped 1 beaver and 3-4 otters last year. Have not caught an otter in traps in months, but expect them to return. I despise both cormorants and otters, but think the otters may be worse because they are primarily active at night and eat a lot of fish before you even realize they are present....the cormorants at least you know immediately they are there to eat your fish. It's odd the cormorants are much, much more plentiful and are protected, river otters are less plentiful but you can kill them.

Fishing has never been about the fish....