I am not sure but doubt 100 lbs of alum can be dissolved in 50 gallons of water. Its OK if not, as long as your pump suction intake is held above the "sand" in the bottom of the barrel. ie: just pump out liquid without sucking up "sand". then add more water and stir it up again before pumping out. 100 pounds of alum in the bottom may take several "batches" of new water to dissolve it all. I assume you are spraying it out over the surface of the pond.

I did a version of Kelley Duffie's post on here years ago, where you have a continuous supply of fresh water being pumped into the bottom of a barrel. Then 2" pipes out the sides of the barrel so the water with dissolved alum gravity flows out of the barrel over the sides of the boat into the water. Alum is slowing poured into the barrel. My agitation in the bottom of the barrel was too aggressive on "high flow" such that is caused my coarse alum to boil up and out the side pipes. I had to slow the water down and thus slow down adding alum. Just idled the boat in loops around the pond while someone slowly poured alum into the barrel.

After 5 months I am still really happy with it. Its a real pleasure to see bluegill and bass cruising around. Wife has a 14" bass trained to come up for grasshoppers. Saw four broods of 2" long bass last weekend. Never would have happened with 8" visibility muddy water. Pond was built fall of 2017.

Last edited by Redonthehead; 08/31/20 08:47 PM.

[Linked Image]