I recently purchased a property where there is a low spot with an occasional flow of water. Looking at the flood plain maps this area is in the flood plain recognized by FEMA. See map attached. I would like to build a spillway type dam in the lower portion and dig out and remove trees to create a 7-8 acre lake.

I am trying to do my research and as I understand it I will need to work first with the Army Corp of Engineers (ACoE) in my region to see if a lake can be built within the waterway. Perhaps a flood control or erosion control lake can be built? My local County offical indicated to check with the ACoE if a permit is needed. If one is required then a seperate County permit would have to be issued as well to cover any construction.

As I understand it a plan submitted to the ACoE can be quite difficult and possibly very expensive generate. I am looking for feedback if this is crazy to even consider or is there a potential possibility to get this accomplished? What potential hurdles will I run into and what are the next steps?

BTW - There are two smaller tanks on the property. The larger one is a mess. Trees are growing through the dam and it's more swamp then lake at the moment. Regardless of what I can do in the lower portion of the property this upper pond will have to be addressed/filled in and rehabbed.

Attached Images
property.JPG