Originally Posted by nvcdl
I had 90% of the water shield in the pond die earlier this summer after using Navigate herbacide (affected whole pond rather than just areas I treated). Suspect these creatures were not affected.

Had a bloom when the weeds were decomposing and I treated the pond with 10lbs of Perfect Pond. Lasted a few days. In past only experienced a bloom in fall when the water shield were dieing.

Since then weeds have grown back a bit along the shores I didn't treat (but only about 1/4 the ammount I had prior to applying herbacide). Even after heavy fertilizing (30 lbs applied in a month - perfect pond fertilizer in 1 3/4 ac pond) can't get a bloom and water visabilty is about 4' now. Thinking it may be best to let the weeds grow out on all but one shore next year as if I can't get a bloom the weeds seem to provide a lot of food for the fish. Always see the small fish picking at the weeds.

If fertilizing doesn't work, sometimes there is something wrong with the water chemistry. I don't know the details on that one, though, see if you can get an expert to weigh in on possible problems.