The mossy stuff is not Mud Plantain. Hard telling what it is.. A type of algae I'd bet. I would let it be along with the Mud Plantain and see how it all develops.

The fact that your pond is growing plant-life is a good sign that it is not polluted..that's always good to know. Beyond that...these plants are the start of it's life cycle and you will just have to wait to see what happens.

You could try to control (or direct) the progression by adding some other plants for diversity. Arrowhead, Thalia Dealbata and Pickerel Weed are also nice to have in the shallows along the banks. I have had good luck with these here in Missouri. I cannot advise much on submerged plants as I have not had any luck at my pond getting those established (yet) and some can get pretty thick. Submerged plants are not on everyone's wish list, but I think I would like some (American Pond Weed seems to be a favorite of those who want submerged plant life).

Should you chose to add plants to your pond...I suggest looking at other ponds/lakes in your area, talk to the owners about the plants and how they like them, identify the plants, research them, and transplant them to your pond if you like what you have learned about them. This can be a fun task and can save some money. It's amazing how fast a few purchased plants can add up to a hundred dollars and if they don't make it...then I feel cheated and out the money. Also, plants that like growing in your neighbor's pond have a better chance of liking your pond compared to ones raised in another state even though they are "supposed" to live in yours.

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 08/25/20 09:45 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel