GW, absolutely chime in. I won't be cutting for a few weeks, so anybody with experience with this, jump right in.

Rhetorical question, but if you make your first cut under water, which is what most people do, how does that keep the propane from affecting secondary cuts above the water line? I know people have used Argon for the first cut(as you mentioned), and I'm not opposed to that. After filling the tank with Dawn and letting it sit, I drained and re-flushed with a power washer with TSP, and then flipped the tank to let it drain.

So a question. If propane is heavier than air, wouldn't having it sit upside down and drain naturally over a couple of weeks in 100-109 degree weather, after the flushings, help remove any potential residual propane? My LEL meter maxed immediately after I rolled it over, only had 2 bars the next day, and has not registered any internal flammables in the last 2 weeks.

Oh, it is going to be a smoker. It's a narrow but long 250 gallon tank, so the legs are a little higher on the sides of the tank than they would be if it was one of the rounder tanks.

There are thousands of propane smokers being used, so I'm open to any experiences with this. For clarity, I always try to go the best and safest route, not the easiest.

AL