Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
1. Does the timber in your woods have any serious commercial value? If so, perhaps you should first affect to maximize that while removing trees in/near the pond area.

2.. If not, or after that effort has been taken care of, I'd consult your potential pond excavators as to their preference. Our excavator found it much easier to push over entire trees with a trackhoe than if they were just stumps.

I've contacted a certified forester in my area but haven't heard back yet (it was after hours when I called). I have no idea about the value of trees, but there are a few HUGE ones that I'm guessing would need to be cut down by hand, but I really don't what kind of power these heavy machines have. I know they can push down trees, but what are their limitations? Can they tackle 40-50' tall oaks and maples that are over 20" in diameter?

And yes, I was thinking that myself. I didn't wanna start hacking down trees myself with a chainsaw when it's easier to push over a whole tree rather than cut it down and dig out the stump later.

I'll see what the forester has to say, and probably talk to some pond builders, and see what their preference is. Thanks for the reply.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller