Since we have several threads going on the forum regarding tilapia, I thought it time to start yet another.
(Oh no, not another tilapia thread...)

Here in Colorado, as in several other states in the US, we cannot legally stock tilapia in our ponds. We can raise them indoors in tanks, etc. There is not a BOW in the state that I'm aware of that is warm enough for tilapia to survive the winter.

We're all about local food production in this state. We're all about self sufficiency, too.

So, what arguments can I offer to the Department of Parks and Wildlife that might convince the powers to be to change the laws?

My fish supplier works for Colorado DP&W; his fish business is an additional source of income and favorite past time for him. He's totally on board with getting tilapia into private ponds when legalized. Understandably, he's got to be careful about promoting the idea too forcefully.

I've called the district fish biologist, leaving name and number and reason for my call. No return phone call. Maybe that's giving his opinion, I don't know.

My pond temps get up into the 70s mid summer. This may not be ideal for tilapia, but I'm guessing I could get some growth and recruitment in the few months when the water is this warm.

I don't understand the reluctance to allow a FA eating resource that converts undesirable algae into human food. Our cool water grows FA all summer long.

Do we have PondBoss threads that offer argumentative help? Are there links available to articles I could read?

Thanks. Sorry, long post, but important dilemma to solve.
Roger