Hello all. I have determined that my 2 acre pond needs to be sampled before deciding whether to restock. There were a number of otters visiting the pond this last winter and spring, and my catch rate has dramatically decreased from previous years. The pond used to have nice populations of catchable bluegill, crappie, and lmb. Additionally, I stocked 300 YP and 20 HSB last fall.

I visited with a regional lake management service that offers electrofishing sampling. While this would prob be the gold standard, they charge $2,400 to shock and I get to ride along and jot down relative numbers and sizes on a notepad for records. For $3,600, they will record the numbers, lengths, relative weights, etc., compose a formal report and help develop a plan to achieve my goals.

While this is a project that I care about, and truly want to develop a quality fishery for my children as they grow up (daughter is 3, and son is 1), I don't feel like it is worth that amount for a 2 acre recreational pond. My reply to the management service was that I hate to spend $2,400 on sampling to realize that I need to spend $2,400 to restock.

My question is there another method of sampling that could be used to gather relative counts of fish? I've been researching using an underwater video camera, like is used for ice fishing in northern states. A descent machine can be purchased for around $300-400. There is a few research papers written that suggest it may be a way for sampling in dense vegetation, but I think it may be a viable/affordable option for the backyard pond. I think you'd need to sample multiple sites, for a specified period of time, a multiple number of times to get a representation. I searched the forum and couldn't find where anyone has asked or mentioned this.

Thoughts?!