Pat, I think in your case, the density of both larger LMB and numerous sizes and high density of BG are (ironically) the perfect answer to BCP control, but I do understand you desire BCP and in my mind that's going to be tough to achieve.
If more dense habitat is added, it obviously affects more than the 1 element we are targeting and in your case it may be advantageous to eliminate some percentage of habitat. Your crappie are being blasted from both ends-effective control..
I'm not sure that I'm qualified to suggest a fix in this case because there are always more variables present than what we see on the surface and one change may throw 6 others out of whack.
I would prefer control by LMB if they can keep up, but removing habitat that supports recruitment of the troublemaker BG to allow more predation on them will affect bass growth and the total predator/prey relationship will change.
The question to me is will LMB more likely target BG or will they also utilize YOY Crappie as well?
The situations I'm used to dealing with are getting BCP under control so this is somewhat backwards to what my experience has been.
To me, this is a perfect example of why BG can over-run a SMB (intended as Apex Predator) situation.. If LMB can't keep numbers down, maybe a massive harvest effort of ALL BG and some thinning out a few small LMB "may" help.

Last edited by Snipe; 08/02/20 12:16 AM.