Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
If it is suspended clay...it's may just have to "be what it be". I will not be treating my pond with alum (etc). I get too much water throughput to spend the time and money on chemicals. One good rain it I have just treated the creek. I would like to hear more about electrical imbalances however. That sounds interesting! I am having a hard time understanding how a BOW that is SO connected to the earth could have an electrical imbalance...seems like a pond would be about as grounded as anything could be.

QA - I believe what he is referring to is the electrical charge of the tiny plate-shaped clay particles that prevent them from settling. The alum atoms have the opposite charge which allows the clay/alum to bind together such that they are dense enough to settle to the bottom. see https://wkrec.ca.uky.edu/files/muddyponds.pdf That treated clay is therefore "forever" treated and will re-settle if stirred, but you need to prevent additional untreated clay from washing into your pond. Or untreated clay on the bottom from being stirred up. "Unused" alum does not stay suspended in the water column from what I understand - it sinks to the bottom.

I treated my pond with alum about 3 months ago and have been very happy with the results thus far. Secchi readings went from 8" to 36" that afternoon. Its a pleasure to see bluegill and bass cruising around. Last week I got 5" rain but all is still good.

Since you get some (most?) of the clay settling in your jars, it appears part (majority?) of your problem is mechanical action of crawfish, bullheads, tadpoles, aeration, etc.

[Linked Image]