As stated in my title, I'm in the process of building a new pond now...
The pond is about an acre in size and is built on sloping terrain, the dam was constructed in 6" lifts with a vibratory compactor and was keyed in with a core trench... All has gone pretty well but I have two concerns the first is my contractor said that it was not necessary to use the compactor in the pond basin because the soil was so good (very tight brown clay with gravel and some larger boulders)..

So far we have only had one or two measurable rains and currently there is about a foot of water in the deepest cut that has been there for two weeks or so with not much loss other than some evaporation . I've been pouring over the forum trying to educate my self as best I can so I can ensure this build goes well but I'm hoping that by not compacting the center basin we haven't made a huge mistake??

The 2nd concern I have is... in the shallow end of the pond there was a small vein that continues to seep even after we dug a core trench above it and compacted with good material. The seep is slow but should I assume that we have not successfully blocked this off and that once water reaches this area with pressure water will push up hill?

This forum has been a real help and a great resource! Thanks for taking the time to read this, I would really appreciate some input from those in the know on this...
By the way... I'm in north eastern Ohio...
Thanks so Much!
Heath