Hey Guys!

Very new to everything that isn't in the city.

Always wanted to build a small reserve for wildlife to give back to nature a bit and bring the kids for some leisurely camping/fishing and finally ready to start doing that.

Subbed to the mag, read through a bunch of these forums, seems like yall are some good people smile

Definitely want to build a bass pond. Has anyone ever done this in the mountains of blue ridge, GA? I'm eyeballing some property backing up to a national forest, its got a spring and small creek so filling the pond should be fairly doable. In general there should be clay, what kind of testing should do before closing to guarantee that I can put a pond in?

I haven't seen a good detail on the day to day maintenance of a pond, Is there a period where a pond needs constant supervision? My campground will be used ~1/month for about a weekend-> week each go around.

My plan is to take a slow approach, Im gonna try to do a lot of the clearing/topsoil and then getting a contractor for the hardest parts (like a 67% chance I wimp out and have them do the whole thing ;)). If I get the first minnows in before nesxt summer I'd be shocked.

When the whole does get dug and filled, I'm going to start very simple with the plants, minnows, crawfish (frogs will make their own darn way) and make sure they are settled before bluegill get added in, and bass later. That should make my absence easier to manage since if i screw up the water depth/temperatures I'm not out too badly right?
I see a lot of info on ' get 300 pounds to stock a 1 acre pond' is there a reason I can't just grab a few dozen to begin with?

Weird question- is there anything I can plant outside the water that I could then toss in as fish food as a treat? Other things i can grow to attract/feed wildlife that are low maintenance (not necessarily to hunt them thought I'm sure my in laws will a bit)?

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator