Here's an update on how the pond is doing in regards to the bass...

Throughout the summer, the bass have been visible everywhere along the shoreline at any time. Some seem to be growing a lot, getting to look more like "real" fish and less like small ones. Some have stayed really small. I would say the biggest of last year's spawn are three times the size of the smallest from that same spawn. I have been fishing for them about once a week, and they eat pretty much every lure and bait. Last week, I took a bigger one to eat, and it was actually tasty. Too small to fillet easily, though.

Throughout the whole summer I have been trying to catch the biggest bass that originally spawned. I used every lure I have, almost, and even live worms. I never got around to buying minnows. I could never even get a big one somewhat interested in the bait. Yesterday, I had been catching smallmouth in a local river using a green hair jig, so I decided to give it a try. Amazingly, a big bass took it as soon as it hit the bottom of a corner of the pond under a tree. I played it too quickly, and it broke my 4lbs flourocarbon line. I went to the same spot and caught another big one and landed it. It was probably around 2lbs. Not that long buy very fat.

At this point, with a few big ones and no sign of a spawn this year, I assume the little bass ate this year's fry, I am thinking of just leaving everything alone as I have been doing. The bass are getting big enough to be eaten, so I will remove some for food and let the rest grow. They also provide fun and fast action fishing in the summer when the trout aren't biting. I will continue to watch and change my "plan" if need be. Thanks for everyone's help here.

Adam

I subscribe!