On growing deer TV they show how to put up elec fencing to keep the deer out till the plants get going. If eaten down below the bottom two leaves the plant will die when it's young. The E fencing will stop the deer for a period to where the plant can get established and that's when there is alot of native food for the deer anyway. I usually leave my fence up till mid June and then disconnect the hot fence. But even then some of the deer will get in but not enough of them get in to kill the field. It's July, Aug and Sept here when the deer are stressed due to the lack of Natural food and that is why I try to keep food around during that time. It does take labor and money when farming for the deer. But I do enjoy doing it. No fencing is necessary at my place for fall plants. And like you said they can keep the wheat mowed down and it also stops growing in colder weather and that is why I use Elbon Rye along with the wheat. I also know how rain or lack of it at the right or wrong time can make it tougher. Some years I have seed left over because I could not get to all the food plots for seeding. I have some great pictures of some big ass deer in the food plots. We don't hunt the plots but will hunt travel routes to the fields. All of it made me realize how tough it can be to farm for a living. I grew up with farm kids but I did not realize what all it takes to get it farmed even though they did alot of the work at night.

Last edited by TGW1; 07/12/20 01:20 PM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy