Originally Posted by Bocomo
QA, do you aerate? Do you think that might speed your pond finding it's new normal after the massive change in conditions?

This is the 3rd summer with aeration. 3 diffusers getting just over 1 CFM per head. All raised off the bottom 3 feet in 10, 7 and 6 foot of water....running about 12 hours a night. If it is improving the situation...I'd hate to see what it would do without it! Although, I have thought about turning the air off just to find out. Then again, there are so many variables, would I really know if it was the true cause and affect?

When the pond get's to the photo'd stage, the aerators will have pushed the floaties out about 20 foot radius from plumes. Then the air shuts off and within a minute the stuff has converged back as it noting was going on.

It can be real interesting in the evening because you can see the water currents in the pond especially without a breeze. There will be multiple shades/colors of current flows (some several feet wide) that tend to swirl towards the center. I suspect it is the way the air gently moves down the ravine and pulls the surface water and causes the pond to slowly churn. If you look closely at the first pic, you can see in the top right corner - a darker streak that follows the far bank and tapers off just before the decoys that mark one of my diffusers. Photo does not do it justice...it's much more intense in person (both interesting and disgusting).

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached Images
Pond Scum 01 MOD.jpg
Last edited by Quarter Acre; 07/09/20 02:21 PM.

Fish on!,
Noel