Hi Everyone,

I have searched and read all the great responses from this forum. I have come to the point where I believe I need some guidance on specific questions.

Here is a brief understand of my project. I bought 5 acres of property just north of Carencro Louisiana at the St. Landry parish line. I want to dig a pond that I estimate will be 1.25-1.5 Acres when I am done with it. I do have some clearing of the tree line and clearing on the property but it’s mostly cleared where I want the pond because it was a cow pasture. I have a soil test being performed next week. Please see my questions below and I appreciate everyone’s time in responding.

1) I have (I can count more than 10 that I have called) and will continue to get bids. They are ranging all over the place. The hard part is, I won’t need all the dirt so I am trying to find someone that has a dirt pit and can use it to cut my cost down. Is it feasible to believe I can find a contractor that needs dirt like this? I hate to say “going rate” but any of you have suggestions on a budget I can work from?

2) I will be Installing a water well. Even though I have plenty of run off I can use, it’s all cow pastures around me. Is this the right thought process? How high do I need a berm? Do you have some example schematics of slopes and where to put a overflow valve if it’s even needed?

3) I was told to just make a 20’X20’ section of the pond deep (10’-12’) does that sound right? The rest will be 6’-8’ basing off what I have read.

I am sure there will be more but again, I appreciate anyone’s help with this! I have also added a picture. This isn’t to scale but I own all 5 acres and the pond will be built on the back two acres of the property.

-Chris

Attached Images
IMG_0176.JPG