I can't give the snake bait much of a "go" at my place because the most common snakes around here are the desirable kinds (black racers, common water, & rat snakes), but I can tell you that I have very good luck catching the craws with a couple small handfuls of fish food put in a sock. I use a cloverleaf trap that has the center section caged off and dedicated to the bait. The 4 openings are vertical slits that I have spread open to be about 1-1/4" wide. I do end up getting HBG young from 2 to 4" long ( a few a night) and some succumb to the craws, but not many that I can tell. My craws were feed trained prior to trapping. Not that there was any effort in it...I fed the shallows for the young fish and the craws came to the dinner table. I have my best luck at night...10 to 1 probably and change the fish food each time. Leaving the food bait for two nights still works, but, crying out loud...the 2 day old pellets really stink and makes cleaning/squeezing the sock out more than mildly unpleasant. lol.

I'm not sexing mine at the time, but am interested. Right now, the catch rates are so steady that I don't think I have made much of a dent.

Fish on!,
Noel