In my local 70 acre tiny shallow lake full of weeds, lily pads and lots of floating mats that are detaching from the peat and floating to the top... I took my 6th grade son and his friend fishing in a rowboat. We were mostly teaching him how to drive the 6hp antique outboard motor that we rescued from Grandma's basement and hadn't run in 35 years or more. I had to learn how to restring a vertical spiral recoil after a couple yanks on the dry rotted pull rope. (I have never seen a vertical spiral recoil before!) but fortunately while on the water youtube was to the rescue again and i was able to get it restrung. It was baking hot, a humid day, windy, and intense sun so didn't think we would have much fishing action.

I had bought some senko round whacky worm look alikes from Walmart (I think they were zoom brand maybe?) 5" and I set my boy up with a brown/natural worm color and set up his friend with a black/watermelon/red flake. It was like a dark color with red metallic flake in it. It was amazing that in hot and very clear water in mid day that we couldn't keep the bass off the dark version and the normal brown color didn't even get a bite. I switched my son to the same black/red flake and both started connecting immediately.

Color matters i guess!