It's official - I've lost my mind again. Weather guessers said sunny and dry all week, so I started digging.

Got all of the topsoil off and piled up, then started removing clay. The clay in my cow pond was mostly the red stuff.
Down in the creek bottom where I'm making the forage pond the clay is what we call blue tiger sh*t. There's a good
bit of moisture in it right now, and it is some tough stuff. First time I've ever slipped the PTO shaft clutch on the tiller.
That thing was smoking. I hope I didn't wreck it. I expect at the least it will need some adjustment to hold properly now.

Once I got a foot or so of clay off it got soft enough that I was going to get the tractor stuck if I kept trying to run the
tiller over it, so I gobbed out what I could and called it quits for the evening. I'll get back in there after work today and
see if I can do anything with it.

Goal is ~40'x75' surface area. If I can get it down to 4'-5' depth that will be plenty good for what I need it to do,
which is raising FHM/GSH to support the cow pond, and hold BG/HBG/BH/CGC for catfish bait. If I can't get it that deep
before the next rain, however deep it winds up will do for now. It's set in a naturally low spot, so I'm not planning to
do a berm/dam on the low side. If I do it won't be more than a foot or so high. We will see.

Think I'll put a low terrace up-slope on the long side to keep it from getting too much runoff from the sunflower patch.
I don't use any ag chemicals down there, but I don't really want it to fill up with silt.

Having a little water hole down there will also make my sunflower patch that much more attractive come dove hunting season.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]