Some "fun" numbers to throw around while we're being scientific....If you had a 2.5 ton chiller (specifically made to cool water and about the same BTU or ton rating as a 1300 square foot home's AC unit) and a 5 gallon per minute pump...it would take 1700 hours to cool the pond down 10 degrees (about 70 days). This won't work in my neck of the woods.

In a more real sense, I can see how a 500,000 gallon pond (~ 1/4 acre) with aeration could easily be fighting a 1 degree increase per day as summer heat escalates. That chiller system would need to remove 1 degree per every one of the half million gallons per day. In order to do this, you would need to pump every gallon of the in a 24 hour period...that's a 350 GPM pump. The tonage on the chiller unit would need to be about 17 tons. Just to give an idea of how big that is...A 3000 square foot home requires a 5 ton unit. AND, the pump is massive, in the neighborhood of a 10 HP motor. AND, we are talking about a chiller system that is designed to chill water as efficient as possible. The introduction of cool air from an air-conditioned room into an air pump would be pretty efficient aside form the fact that the AC room air would have to overcome the heat generated by the air pump first, but the efficiency of the air bubbles cooling the water off would be horribly in-efficient.

Disclaimer: I have made some very crude assumptions in the above mumbo-jumbo and could certainly be off by a fair piece, but regardless...It would take a lot of equipment to keep a pond cool during the heat of the summer in the warmer climates.

Thanks for the diversion Steve_! Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Fish on!,
Noel