Originally Posted by Steve_
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
Steve - -thanks for running some numbers. I must say that the DO numbers are tricky to get as the meter requires that the probe be moving 6" per second in order to read accurately. That is difficult to do in the pond and the display is constantly moving slightly, but not so much that I cannot get a mental running average. I would not put too much emphasis on the DO percentages. The ppm readings could be off by a couple of tenths.

I'll get more meaningful data this weekend when I can get a few sets a day (morning, mid, & evening).

I know your data isn't enough to make a sweeping conclusion about aeration, but it's got me wondering if I want to eventually aerate my pond. Going by what Mr. Lusk said, would it be reasonable to conclude, that if you're meeting the bare minimum DO for the species you have without aeration, that aeration isn't required? By not aerating, you're keeping favorable temperatures, which are apparently what fish prefer over water that has more DO than they need.

Some interesting stuff here.

Aeration has other benefits beyond just additional O2 for fish respiration. It allows aerobic decay of organic matter, which is much faster.