I'm still in the planning stage of my proposed quarter acre pond, and I do want to put HSB in there. From everything I've read, HSB are a 99% put-and-take species, but I'd really like to try to create the perfect environment for them to pull off a successful spawn, so that I have YoY HSB. There's a YouTube video of this happening, and from what I gather, they prefer clear, rocky shoals that are 1 to 3 feet deep.

So, my question: Has anyone gone out of their way to try to create the perfect conditions for this to happen?

I don't like the idea of having to buy "replacements" every year or two, but if that's the case, then I would obviously do it. I just like the idea of having a natural BOW where nature runs its course without too much human interference.

Edit: For clarification, I've read all of the topics on here regarding HSB reproduction in ponds, and I'm aware that it CAN happen. I'm just more interested to hear if anyone has tried to recreate it, instead of it just happening accidentally.

Last edited by Steve_; 06/01/20 09:23 PM.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller