Originally Posted by Phonzie
We have never fed and currently do not. It has been discussed, but the fear is that its a short term expensive bandaid. Because what happens from December through March when the pond is frozen? Also would be a little concerned going into winter with a fish population that has been fed and grown to over capacity. Not sure if that would be a problem or not since we aerate.

Lot's of wisdom in what you wrote. Its a very productive pond anyway. The production of any mature pond without feed inputs is determined solely from mortality. What ever dies, allows other fish to grow. So removing 225 lbs of fish is worth at least 450 lbs of Optimal ... simple as that. It is likely that maximum standing weights occur in the fall and that winter determines the carrying capacity. So yes if you feed them to a greater fall standing weight ... it is possible ... even likely that the spring weights will be no higher and all the feed gains be lost. (that would stink). If one is going to feed, he needs to think about harvesting the gain the feed created or it may be completely lost.

I agree that feed as a solution to making BG bigger is short term. Feed will greatly benefit existing bass in that BG spawning will be stimulated but they will be under numbered for the task of controlling BG numbers. How do I know? Because they are under numbered to begin with. If so, then how could they possibly be strong enough in number to control BG when the production of BG is dramatically increased by feeding? Its like pushing on a string. Your approach to this problem is exemplary.

My theory on the Bass was that I think we have plenty mouths to eat the YOY with the crappie and even the BG. Or is my theory wrong and they don't eat much of each other's fry? We do catch some 8 to 12 inch bass occasionally. They certainly are not plentiful but they are there.

No it is isn't wrong. The existing BG and BCP are going to be eating fry. I guess the question is whether it will be enough to prevent a big crop of 4" BG 1 year olds next year.

I would like to end up with larger size population of all species of course. But maybe that's not possible. I think hole we have in food chain is bass to harvest bluegill and crappie we can't catch. So I am rethinking this a little now and maybe I will add 2 sizes of bass. Some 14 to 16 inches, and some 10 to 12 inches. If I can get 1 or 2 larger than 16, I will add that also.
So far we have added a 15, 16, and 3 from 13.5 to 14.5.

It just depends on the balance you are looking for. I think you can grow BG to 9" while growing LMB to 3-4 lbs. To do that I think you need to harvest BG and BCP like you do now and keep the LMB in a progression of sizes. If you want BG to reliably get larger than that, then seek to have more LMB of smaller individual weights. If you want LMB to reliably attain weights > 4 lbs, then your BG are going to be limited to smaller lengths. So its just a matter of what is important to you.

Last edited by jpsdad; 05/24/20 11:16 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers