Hi everyone,

Here is an update on the pond situation, leading me to have a couple of questions.

As you suggested, Bill, the bass became visible and somewhat active after the water warmed up. We've had a very cold spring thus far, so I was just able to see the bass yesterday. I was able to catch four of them on light tackle and live worms. Their feeding response was a LOT less aggressive than last summer, not sure if that means anything important. It took me a fairly long time to catch each one, and most were uninterested in the bait. They was a very big school of them in SUPER shallow water (4", maybe less) at the corner of the pond. There were also about four larger bass that I saw (10-14" maybe). They were MUCH thicker than the small bass schooling, so I assume these are the older ones. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that someone, without permission, added a bucket of fish to the pond, some of which were bass. I am a little worried to find out what else is in here now. This was done approximately two, maybe three years ago, I think. He could've done it a second time as well.

Anyways, the larger bass were IMPOSSIBLE to catch. They would ignore anything I threw at them, even live worms. The weird thing is, they are SO skittish that even a tiny jig head with a worm scares them off. Three of the bigger bass I saw always travel together. I literally always see them in a group of three side by side, this year and last year. Is that normal behaviour for LMB? I can actually always know where they are, because their backs almost stick out of the water, creating a wake.

Additionally, I have attached a photo of one of the bass I caught yesterday. Is this a fine size for a now almost exactly 1 yr old LMB? As shown in the image, the fish is about 6" long and really elongated.

To summarize, the baby LMB that mysteriously (not a mystery anymore) appeared in my pond last year are now active again and, a year after they hatched, are only 6". Is this a normal size (Northern pond)? Is it normal for the larger bass to be very skittish and to travel in groups?

Bass caught yesterday: https://imgur.com/a/z0kEhUS

Thanks very much.

Last edited by Fyfer123; 05/24/20 09:37 AM.

Adam

I subscribe!