Don't expect the aeration to help much to reduce filamentous algae growth. I have never seen a published journal article that shows aeration helps reduce FA. Aeration controlling algae is a very general term and used my many to sell aerators. I've seen way too many algae dominated ponds with good aeration to believe aeration will control algae.

Nutrient abatement of the proper macro and / or micro nutrients is what is needed to control excess algae. Full knowledge of that is still being learned. Unless someone has some documented proof then I would like to see it.

There are many genera of filamentous algae and even more species within those genera. Some are phosphorus hogs and some are nitrogen hogs. Likely each different one (specie) prefers a specific blend of nutrients that makes it grow profusely. Plus the lack of competition for nutrients and space from other plants no doubt allows FA to over grow. If the pond has too few native plants why wouldn't some rampant primary invader plant / FA want to fill the fertile space? Weeds do it on bare dirt,,,,, why not in water?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/23/20 09:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management