I noticed that when I started fishing my pond this year the population seemed a little off balance from what it was last year. I have LMB, YP and BG (also pumpkinseeds) stocked in a 6-8' deep 1/4 acre pond. I have been culling 3-5" BG and YP for the better part of 2-3 years. The boys love doing it with me because we usually catch some really large BG as well.

So far this year the number of large (3/4 - 1lb) BG has been almost non existent. Today we went out and I took some notes on what was caught. This has been pretty standard from our last 4 or 5 outings.

Fish caught - Weight - Length - RWR (I don't calculate RWR on fish below 6")

BG - .06 - 5"
YP - .04 - 5.25"
LMB - .11 - 6"
BG - .08 - 5.5"
YP - .06 - 5.25"
BG - .06 - 4.5"
LMB - 2.3lb - 16" - 109%
BG - .17 - 6.75" - 100%
LMB - 2.2lb - 16" - 105%
YP - .06 - 5"
LMB - .08 - 5.75"
BG - .08 - 5"
BG - .08 - 4.5"

I've been trying to target the larger BG, but I guess I need to change my technique a bit. Pond is pellet fed and aerated.

My idea right now is to stop culling the smaller gills like I have been.

Bass have not spawned yet. The two I removed today were full of eggs.

Moving forward, what would you do? Goal is big BG since large bass in a 1/4 acre is unrealistic. Should I try to remove as many 16"+ bass before they spawn this year? Last year I hadn't caught any over 14" and so far this year I haven't caught one under 15". So I take it that my initial class of bass has reached a point where they need to be removed. Secondary question, should I stop culling the 3-5" range BG until the LMB population has been reduced in over size?

Thanks in advance. Ask any questions you need as I'm sure I left some important information out somewhere