Hi John- thanks for the input on use of rocks. The threads are extensive and informative. In a way I'm fortunate that our pond is small. The area of concern is only about 50' to 60' of the South/Southeast bank of the pond. The original construction was done two or three years prior to our purchase of the residence in '87. The contractor dug the bank at a pretty steep angle- probably to limit vegetation spread. I'm thinking of having a local contractor drop off two different limestone sizes. Larger for first submerged bank cover and smaller over that. This will be a challenge to set due to the trees and right now slippery clay soil above the bank. I'm not in a big rush and should be able to wait for drier conditions before starting-- with assistance from Mother Nature slowing down the water spigot! I will check with the contractor that delivers to find out if there is a typical "shape" to the limestone. Obviously some flatter or square rock might help limit rolling of the rock as I place it. I should have some additional sedge plants to start in this same area in the soil above the bank. My thought is creating a 20' wide meadow-like environment under the trees to provide a denser soil cover to slow and retain the clay that's being transported. The water primrose sounds like a nice cover, but it may be too invasive in a smaller pond like mine. I'm going to stick with YI, water lilies, pond weed, and PW for now. The key will be keeping the muskrats at bay. They have damaged not only the vegetation, but this same S/SE bank of pond. The burrow digging and erosion it causes is nasty. The addition of rock should inhibit these vermin from setting up dens in the pond. With traps as a more permanent remedy. I'm still surprised that in our small 0.25 acre pond that I've trapped four rats and a Mink this Spring. There are three similar sized ponds in adjacent neighboring properties. Our pond seems to be MOST attractive for some reason. My theory is the vegetation I've selected and propagated in and around the pond makes the most natural environment the rats prefer.