Frank, I wished I had a set up like yours. The place I had planned for your type of set up was pure sand. I dug down to 12' of sand with no clay at all. And it is around 50 yds from my pond. I could not believe it but I dug it myself using a rental excavator. That set me back on my forage pond for the past two yrs. So, I moved the spot and while digging the next spot I almost stuck the excavator in all the muddy clay. I'm not kidding about sticking it. Since then I have not tried again. This time I'm going to hire it done. Sticking or burying a track hoe is not good. I could see it in my mind as I was trying to get out. Ordering out a dozer, buying more chains, or losing a track. Put it this way, I did not get back in that muddy hole once I got out.

Jpsdad, yes I have added tp every spring and last fall I added 50 lbs of 2 to 3" Tp just for forage. Todd Overton will sell at reduced pricing in the fall. Guess it's better than him feeding them all winter. And like I stated, the 14" lmb that I caught looked so fat I could not believe it. They must have gorged themselves. I am talking super shoulders on those fish. Almost a deformed looking fish!! You know, I like adding the Tp in the spring but I saw more benefit by adding them in the fall if just looking at them as forage only.

To be honest guys, right now i am leaning more toward two or three smaller sized forage ponds, like snrub has done. Maybe a 1/10 acre ponds. i like the idea of a couple or three parents in the pond and lots of fry. Down side is I don't think I can raise any numbers of prawns that way. Maybe I'm wrong. Talking of prawns, I tried to contact Upstrum last week by email about his prawns but have not herd back.

Last edited by TGW1; 05/18/20 07:51 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy