I've been thinking hard about sinking feed lately, mostly due to the greedy birds that dine on fish pellets at my place. Geese aren't nearly as happy with sinking pellets, and some fish are more eager to hit stuff that doesn't force them to the surface. More fish food ends up in the fish, which is big considering how expensive the stuff is these days!

One thing I hadn't considered is how sinking pellets might also change the game with respect to redears and maybe crappie. Neither rise to the surface to feed, so normally it's very tough to supplement their diet. But what if most of the feed sank? What if more of it got to the bottom? Could some be extruded to more closely resemble what redear normally eat? Could those pellets be extruded to sink more rapidly to get down to the redears without being totally gobbled by CNBG and LMB?

Dustin at Optimal is working on these questions, though hampered by the weird economic conditions. Purina MVP is about 20 percent sinking already, wonder if they could do some runs where it is 80 percent & see what happens?

I absolutely LOVE to watch fish come to the surface to feed. Plus, floating pellets allow us to better track fish moods. But maybe we should give more thought to the advantages of sinking pellets.

Last edited by anthropic; 05/08/20 10:20 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160