Seven weeks ago, I did initial stocking of my pond with 200 BG/100 HBG/100 RES and 10lb FHM. The panfish were listed as 3-4" long and definitely closer to three inches than four.

Yesterday I decided to go see if I could way-too-early catch any on a piece of a nightcrawler, and caught three bluegill that were noticeably larger than when stocked, full credit to Optimal Junior.

All three bluegill, along with two creek chub caught that I fished out of a small hole in a dried up stream last year and put in the pond when it was only 18" deep, have their colors substantially muted compared to what they originally were.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pond was dug just last July, is maybe 90% of full pool, and a drought led to difficulty getting ground cover established last fall so there's a LOT of suspended clay. Grass is coming along (still a work in process along banks...) and I understand the pond may settle out in a year or two, but my plan is to rip-rap the downwind waterline in the next month or two and possibly try alum/lime to accelerate the clearing process in late summer or early fall.

Would the suspended clay cause the colors to be so muted on the fish? If so, I presume that'll resolve once water clarity improves?

Thanks!!!