Originally Posted by Sunil
I'm friends with some teachers in and around the Pittsburgh area.

In one eastern suburb of Pittsburgh, the teachers, in general, are not concerned that going back to 'normal' school is unsafe. The greatest concern seems to be that the students are learning quite a bit less with the online format.

A lot of suburbs were already set up where most every student already had a laptop/online device, however, some of the other districts are way behind that curve.

I've been somewhat skeptical of the level of 'reaction' to this virus, and just don't think that the schools are going to ever be less of a 'petri' dish than they already are and always have been.

Once the question of 'safety' is invoked, it's almost carte blanche to take whatever measures one feels necessary to protect the people.

I see the decision to close the PA schools yesterday as a 'punt.' Online schooling was already happening. Waiting another week or two doesn't impact anyone.
I talked to the HS Junior who handles square bales and helps with fencing and asked how on-line school was going.

"At first it ticked me off, now I just fill like it's something that a have to do."

And I asked if he was learning anything.

"Oh, Hell no. Except Math."

This is a good kid, As & Bs student, with an exceptional work ethic for a 17 year old.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]