Originally Posted by teehjaeh57
Chad I think PK could make it [aside from your DO issues] - we have no issues in NE and our water gets just as cold as yours, our season is just shorter. One variable might be your pond being devoid of macrophytes for longer periods so they may be more vulnerable to predation than they are here - but I don't think the cold itself would impact their survival. I think scuds could also be great in your pond. Dr Dave Willis told me once that Devil's Lake is supported entirely by scuds - no smelt, shad, alewife or other forage fish present. That really blew my mind considering the quantity and size of the YP, SMB, WE, NP etc. that exist in that fishery - but you know, Dr. Willis was a great teacher and related lots of those cool facts to us.

So...I think it would be worth trying both scuds and PK Shrimp. If you drive through NE this year let me know a few weeks in advance and I'll do my damnedest to collect some for you on your way out West.

TJ thanks so much!! I just might take you up on that offer!!

How well do PK Shrimp survive with crayfish?

We actually have more scuds in our lake than I've personally ever seen anywhere else. They have always been there so I think they are basically impervious to low DO. I imagine the PK Shrimp would be a big bonus for growing bigger fish because the scuds are just so small. I am assuming PK Shrimp have the same basic nutritional content of the scuds just more of it??

Jpsdad - I am a gambling man!!

This video doesn't do our scud population justice. You have to open it to full screen to really see them. I need to get a better video this summer.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 04/30/20 10:55 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management