The B trap is super simple to make. It's sort of like a cloverleaf trap that's been cut in half across the top.
Flat piece of mesh on the bottom, then the B perpendicular to that, then another flat piece on the top side of the B.

I built this one a full 2' tall, but that's probably not necessary. I also added some cut-up cattle panel for stiffness, thinking that might help it to hold up in the creek.
It's ~18" front to back, and 36" wide. Again, maybe more than is necessary. The throat on this one is a bit more open than what you might want if you're just
after bluegills. It's ~1.5" wide and 12" tall. I did that so it would fit foot-long bullheads and common carp. If I was going to make one just to catch panfish I'd
probably go with a 1"x6" throat opening. There are also possum cop rules that need to be considered - this one wouldn't be legal to use in public waters in my
state because the throat opening is larger than allowed, so if you're going to build one it's a good idea to check the rules if you think you might want to use it
in public waters.

Catching those YP yesterday was the first time I used it since I built it last summer, and it's hard to argue with results like that, so I'm gonna say that I'm rather
pleased with how it works. You could almost build two like this one with the materials it would take to build one cloverleaf trap.

I can't take any credit for the design of this thing - it's been around forever. When my Grampa Wilkie had his commercial license back in the 70's he preferred these
over the cloverleaf style because two B traps took up the same amount of space in the truck bed as one cloverleaf, and he said two Bs would catch more bait than
one clover. He had ten or a dozen of them. They all disappeared after he passed, probably just got chucked in the trash, but I didn't forget what he taught me.

[Linked Image from i1174.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i1174.photobucket.com]

Last edited by Augie; 04/24/20 05:08 PM. Reason: added some more detail to the description