Thanks so much 4Corners for the offer! One possibility that occured to me was instead of messing with the existing compacted pond floor, I could instead dig a new, deeper pond/hole right next to it and "connect" them with a little river/ditch thing-- then the main pond wouldn't be drained by a fluctuated water table, only the "side" (new) watertable pond would go down (the connection between the two ponds would at a certain height to control how much water leaves the main pond). This ideas does create a smaller, deeper section of the pond that fish can overwinter in and I can add water as needed if the table goes down, but it's not like trying to raise the water level of a 1/2 acre pond. Just brainstorming ideas here-- I can even put a liner in the smaller/new/deeper pond to avoid having to worry about soil type, etc. I would just have to figure out what size it would need to be to house the fish in the winter. In another house where I put in the koi pond/waterfall, the koi would just sleep in a little fish cave at the bottom all winter so they hardly used any space at all.

Last edited by jpscott17; 04/09/20 04:23 PM.