Hi, Roger-- thanks for your thoughts on all this! We are probably pretty close to each other :), about an hour or so if you are in Dolores (we are closer to Bayfield).

I am pretty sure the only thing feeding that muck pile of a pond we have is that spring. I guess the spring used to flow a lot and then they did some ditch modifications or something that greatly reduced how much water was coming into the pond (so I hear from the old owner--- we are new to this property).

I just had some test holes dug (for a hefty price) for the new septic, but I doubt those would work as it seems the "lower/wetter" parts of this property (including the pond area) have a very different soil profile than the high and dry area where we plan to put the new septic.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can I dig the test holes myself? We are having some construction work on a building this summer and I am sure the contractor will have a back hoe or something and I could have him dig up a hole near the pond. Not sure what I would be looking for, though.....just that it fills with water and then holds it for an extended period of time? Again, sorry this might be a dumb question--- I am totally new to all this (except I have put in a koi pond and waterfall before on a different property, but we hand dug it and used a liner-- very different of course).

Thanks again for the help!