Last year I would drive to Louisiana and buy Crawfish several times. I finally ended up working a deal out with the fisherman direct vs the middle man. He would not size them (pull out the small ones) which makes it easier and faster for him. On average you get 30-50 crawfish per pound depending on the size you get. They are sold by the sack. Each sack is approximately 40lbs. I stocked about 15,000 last year in my pond and it was not uncommon to catch a decent bass and have a big crawfish still visible poking out of its stomach after it’s eaten it. They LOVE them. I did check to see what types of crawfish are native to my state (MO) before I did this. The Red Swamp Crawfish is what you get in LA and they are native to MO so I was good there. In transportation them, I got pretty good at it. I got the large plastic totes from Walmart. You can fit 2 sacks in one tote. Put the sacks in the tote then put one bag of ice on top of them still in the plastic bag. The. Sprinkle half a bag of ice around the sides. You will need to stop about every 5 hours to drain the melt water from the totes. Most important part: about 30 min before you are going to release them is time to revive them. I stop at a truck stop that’s a half hour away from my pond to do this on my way home. What to do. Cut the bags open and let the crawfish loose into the totes. They are very slow and won’t move much. Now rinse them with water. I fill the tote with the water spicket by the pumps. Then drain them completely. What I’m really doing is warming them up and reviving them. I load them back up now rinsed and released into the totes for about 30 min. When I get to my pond I can now just dump them in and they take off in the water and I have a 99% survival rate. This was perfected over several trips and learning experiences. My first batch I only had about 50% survival. I since then came up with the ice levels I recommended, and the revival process.