WRT Short Term Goal #1, Blue Tilapia would live the longest this Fall (fatal temp = 45 degrees IIRC), but IF you can still get in on Tilapia delivery this year I'd take whatever the supplier has. My Tilapia dealer (Jones Fish) will supply either Blue or Nile, whatever they get shipped up from (somewhere) down South.

I am using 20 lbs/acre for FA control with no chemicals, but that is in a stable situation rather than starting from a bad infestation. The recommended 30lbs/acre might be a good idea at first; adjust future stocking levels based on how it goes.

I suspect that Tilapia mostly eat the FA growing on the bottom before it floats up, but I see them eating at the surface (mostly around pond shoreline) often in warm weather.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of dock options, match to your budget. I've got one cheap crappy one and one slightly less cheap decent one, both of which I built myself over pilings driven before the ponds filled up.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]