Need some advice.

Have my 1/20th acre forage pond that currently has only FHM in it. They were stocked last summer/fall. So should be lots of FHM in it.

Planning on raising HSB in the pond. Tentative plans is to get 250-400 1.5" HSB and raise them up to a large enough size to transfer to other ponds. Will plan on feeding them as well as the FHM population providing food. They will be available some time around June or maybe July according to KEO. Or at least they told me to call back June 1 so that is my assumption.

Since there were only FHM in this pond last year, the snail population has went up significantly. I can get some fingerling RES on April 2. I was thinking of getting just 100 to put in this pond for dual purpose. One to control the snails and two to produce some fingerling RES for my other ponds (probably would be next year for the fingerlings).

Am I expecting too much to put the additional 100 RES in with the HSB, or would they go ok together. I worried about the RES getting big enough to be predatory on the small HSB, but the more I think about the size of both fish in the time period they would be stocked I don't see that as a problem.

Suggestions?

Last edited by snrub; 03/18/20 02:37 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine