Long time browser, new member/poster here. I am developing several natural water table ponds on my property. I am aware of the issues and opinions regarding these, after several test holes and observations my situation appears to be the following. Solid clay anywhere from almost surface to 30' deep. In the low areas that I am digging out there is several inches to 1 ft of black muck then 1 to 3 ft of what appears to be a fine gray sandy material, then a brown sand that starts out soft and gets harder and darker as I dig and eventually hit clay, depth varies. The water appears to flow through the ground of my property through this grey sandy soil which is in all of the low areas. This soil is the oddest thing, it feels like sand when dry, if submerged in water it is soft and you will bury a piece of equipment quickly, if you place this soil on top of drained brown sand it holds water. So in the spring the water table is high filling the low spots then recedes leaving the water on top of the grey sandy soil and the muck. If you dig through the muck and grey soil it will drain into the sandy soil below. This grey sandy looking soil has small brittle white chucks in it old seashells, limestone, etc? not sure. I have asked some of my neighbors about it and the one old timer says it is from when Michigan had the great forest fires years ago. FIL says it is just sand mixed with clay. Anyway Any thoughts on what kind of soil this is or if anyone has any experience with it.

Dave