My thought is if something happens to where the buyer is going to go as far as to sue you, they are going to come after you no matter realtor or not.. The realtor would just be among the parties being sued. I would not let this discourage you but make sure you cover your bases and you would be surprised how easy it is.

If I were to pick up and sell my home and properties I would definitely not use / pay a realtor to do it. In fact, a few years ago I purchased property using a real estate purchase agreement that covers both parties. I just asked a realtor friend of mine to send me a copy of what they would use for a similar transaction. I was honest and upfront to let them know that I was conducting the sale on my own in order to save money. Since it is a close friend there were no hard feelings. Whatever the agreement that is used, just make sure terminology is valid to your state and covers against being free and clear of any liens, back taxes etc.

Always get title insurance. I've seen it be needed in a transaction gone ugly. The insurance actually covered the entire sale amount of the property in dispute and in this case and refunded the buyer in full.